Minnesota Nursing Home Negligence Attorney Serving Clients in Brooklyn Park
Finding a safe and affordable nursing home for an elderly loved one in Brooklyn Park, MN can be a complicated and sometimes frustrating experience. It can be difficult to know precisely what to look for in a skilled nursing facility if you have never explored these options before, and it can feel overwhelming to sort through the histories of every facility in the area that is accepting new patients. Unfortunately, nursing home abuse and neglect can happen at almost any facility in Minnesota, and the signs of abuse can vary significantly depending upon the type of abuse.
If you suspect that an elderly loved one suffered injuries at a skilled nursing facility due to nursing home abuse or neglect, it is extremely important to speak with an advocate as soon as possible. A dedicated Brooklyn Park nursing home abuse lawyer can examine your case today and can discuss your options with you.
What is Nursing Home Abuse in Brooklyn Park?
There are many different types of nursing home abuse and neglect. According to a fact sheet from the National Center on Elder Abuse (NCEA), the following are seven different types of elder abuse that may occur at nursing homes and assisted-living facilities in Minnesota:
- Physical abuse;
- Sexual abuse;
- Emotional abuse;
- Financial abuse or exploitation;
- Abandonment; and
Sometimes abuse occurs because of harmful actions taken by staff members at nursing homes. For example, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, and financial exploitation typically are inflicted by an employee at the facility or by another patient at the nursing home. When it comes to neglect and abandonment, however, then a patient can sustain serious injuries as a result of the omissions of the staff members. By simply not acting when a patient requires care, a nursing home or its staff may be liable for nursing home neglect or abandonment if the patient sustains injuries.
Signs and Symptoms of Nursing Home Abuse in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Signs and symptoms of elder abuse can vary widely depending upon the type of abuse. According to WebMD, the following are some of the common signs and symptoms of elder abuse:
- Unexplained cuts or bruises;
- Unexplained bleeding of any type;
- Broken bones;
- Repeated injuries that continue to occur;
- Patient insisting that she does not want to see a doctor about her injuries;
- Torn clothing, especially undergarments;
- Sexually transmitted diseases;
- Bruises around a patient’s breasts or genitals;
- Patient acting withdrawn;
- Patient acting scared or frightened;
- General changes in a patient’s behavior that are unexplained;
- Rocking back and forth;
- Mumbling to oneself;
- Difficulty sleeping;
- Unexplained bank account withdrawals;
- Missing financial documents;
- Forged signatures on checks or other financial materials;
- A new “friend” who could be taking financial advantage;
- Dirty or messy clothes;
- Unkempt hair and lack of physical cleanliness;
- Rashes on the skin;
- Sudden weight loss;
- Lack of interest in food;
- Bedsores; and/or
- Missing medical devices, such as eyeglasses, dentures, or hearing aids.
As you can see, the signs and symptoms of neglect can vary widely. If you notice even one of the above indications of elder abuse, it is important to seek advice from an experienced Brooklyn Park nursing home abuse attorney as soon as possible. Elder abuse often goes unreported, and it is important to take action in order to stop abuse and to prevent future injuries.
Brooklyn Park Patient Rights Under Minnesota Law
The Minnesota Department of Human Services has options for family members who are concerned about vulnerable seniors. More specifically, the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center (MAARC) has a toll-free number of 1-844-880-1574 for anyone to call if nursing home abuse is suspected. In addition to the MAARC, Brooklyn Park nursing home residents have protections under Minnesota law.
- Right to dignity and respect in a nursing home, assisted-living facility, or another similar facility;
- Right to live in an environment that is free from abuse and exploitation;
- Right to have information about their own living situation at a nursing home or assisted-living facility;
- Right to participate in decisions about their own healthcare;
- Right to file an abuse or neglect complaint (or another type of complaint) without fear of retaliation;
- Right to privacy in a facility; and
- Right to have visitors.
When these rights are violated, nursing home residents may be able to file a claim for compensation. It is important to learn more about how to file a nursing home abuse claim by speaking with a Brooklyn Park elder abuse lawyer as soon as possible.
Damages in a Brooklyn Park Nursing Home Abuse Claim
Nursing home abuse patients may be able to obtain compensatory damages if they suffer injuries due to nursing home abuse or neglect. In general, there are two different kinds of compensatory damages, and both are aimed at compensating a victim for her losses:
- Economic damages, which can provide a nursing home abuse victim with compensation for financial losses such as the cost of hospital bills associated with treatment for injuries or bedsores; and
- Non-economic damages, which can provide a nursing home abuse victim with compensation for indirect losses like pain and suffering, or the loss of enjoyment of life.
Get Help from a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer in Brooklyn Park, MN
Do you have concerns about an elderly loved one’s safety or quality of care in a nursing home in or around Brooklyn Park, MN? You should not hesitate to reach out to a Brooklyn Park nursing home abuse attorney about your concerns. At Kosieradzki Smith Law Firm LLC, we have years of experience helping nursing home abuse victims and their families to hold the responsible parties accountable for abuse and neglect. Contact us today to learn more about the services we provide to seniors and their families in Minnesota.